What if your Xbox One console doesn’t turn off? Well, that’s that. You can throw it away and pick up a book.
Or, you can try troubleshooting the problem to get the system back in order.
Make sure that your Xbox One controller is functioning
If you are used to turning on your Xbox One with the controller, it is a good idea to check for any issues first.
1. Push the Power button to turn the console on. The controller may not be functioning if your console turns on normally.
The “Power” button on Xbox One is pressed.Stefan Ionescu
2. Hold down the Xbox buttons on your controller to see if the controller turns on. If the controller does not turn on, it could be dead. You will need to charge them or replace them.
The Xbox One controller’s “Xbox” button can be pressed.Stefan Ionescu
3. Try again pressing the Xbox buttons to turn the Xbox One on.
4. Try a different Xbox One controller if the above steps don’t work. You should replace the controller if another controller can switch on your Xbox One.
Vent your Xbox One
The Xbox One may have overheated when it shuts off randomly while you’re playing a video game.
1. Take out any obstruction that could be obstructing the Xbox One’s vents. Any obstruction to the ventilation system of the Xbox One can cause disruptions in its internal airflow. The console will close down to prevent heat from damaging internal components.
You should remove any objects that may be on top your Xbox One vents.Stefan Ionescu
2. Let your Xbox One cool off for a few minutes. Make sure it is placed in an area with plenty of ventilation.
3. When you are sure that the console has cooled down, press the power button. Wait for it to turn back on.
Check your Xbox One’s HDMI cable
Your HDMI cable may be the culprit if your Xbox One is not lighting up, but it’s still visible.
1. Make sure you have connected the HDMI cable correctly to the Xbox One. If the HDMI port on the TV does not respond, you can try switching it.
Verify that the power cable is connected properly to your Xbox One and wall outlet.Stefan Ionescu
2. Try another HDMI cable to check if the Xbox One detects any display.
Check your Xbox One’s power supply
Unresponsive Xbox Ones are usually caused by a problem with the power supply.
1. Ensure that the power cord is properly inserted in the back console.
Make sure your HDMI cable is properly connected on the TV and console.Stefan Ionescu
2. Next, check the outlet with a digital multimeter. Or, simply connect another electrical device to it and see if it turns on.
Reset your Xbox One
If the Xbox One is not the problem, you can try a power reset. The Xbox One’s internal power supply may be the issue.
Follow these steps to reset the external power supply on the Xbox One X/S consoles:
1. To reset the power supply, disconnect it from the console’s rear and wait for 10 seconds. Then, connect the cable again and press the Xbox button in front.
2 Once it turns on you are all set.
You can reset the external power supply on the original Xbox One by following these steps:
1. Disconnect all cables to the console, power supply and wall outlet.
2. Wait for 10 seconds. Then, reconnect the power supply to the wall. Finally, connect the console to the power supply.
If your system continues to be unresponsive, you need to contact Microsoft to make repairs.